Olivia gave us a bit of a scare on Sunday evening.

I was downstairs cutting the hair of a little boy in our ward when I heard a scream from upstairs. I didn't recognize it and I thought, "Whose kid is that?" wondering if Lindsay had brought her daughter after all. It was followed by more, which I then recognized as Olivia's. Joe (who was doing the dishes, good man) ran upstairs to the bathroom where he found Olivia and a mostly empty bottle of fingernail polish remover. As he brought her down the stairs, still screaming, she threw up in his hand. I took him from her and went to the bathroom where we tried to clean her up and rinse out her mouth. Joe tried to find the number for poison control while Emma ran upstairs to bring the bottle down. It said to administer liquids in case of accidental ingestion, but as hard as I tried to get her to take water and milk, she wasn't about to let anything else in her mouth at that moment. While I was doing that, Joe gave up looking for the number and called 911, who immediately dispatched the paramedics and then put him through to poison control. I'm sitting on the toilet in the bathroom with Livvy still screaming in my lap and fighting my efforts when she throws up twice in succession. It was so violent, she was gasping for breath and started choking on the vomit (in which I could smell a strong scent of the nail polish remover - apparently, many or all nail polish removers have something additional in it to induce vomiting.) It went all over both of us, so I cleared her nose and mouth and stripped her down to her diaper. At this point, she stopped screaming and had started to settle down. Meanwhile the paramedics arrive in an ambulance, along with a fire engine, and five men with their gear rush into our living room. It was obvious that the crisis had passed, so they only stayed for a few minutes, but told us to watch her closely to make sure there weren't any other effects. Within the half hour, she was running around again as if nothing had happened. Our prayers were a bit more meaningful that night.
Joe holding Livs after the incident.
We were too slow to get a picture of all the paramedics/firemen.
6 comments:
how scary...good thing they put that vomit inducer in there! Livvy is so big....when was the last time we saw you? thanksgiving?
Wow, how scary. I'm glad she is ok. I had no idea they put an additive in nail polish remover to induce vomiting. I'm glad and thankful that someone thought of that as I'm sure you are too.
That would be terrifying, glad things worked out makes me want to make sure we get the cabinet locks and make sure I have that poison control number. Glad we get to see you guys soon!!! Thanks again for all your help!
Okay - that is terrifying! I am so glad that she is okay! What a horrible experience!
But I am so happy you have a blog. Now I can keep up on your cute family!
Glad everything turned out fine. Vomit and choking are a scary thing. Didn't know you had a blog, but am glad to see it. Didn't know about the blessing next week either, so that is noteworthy. See you soon.
Post a Comment