Saturday, May 22, 2010

Want to go on a little journey with me?

I am about to start the renovation of my master bath!!! Is it weird that I get butterflies when I think about it? I am so excited!

It all started in a very casual way when Joe and I were getting ready for bed one night about two weeks ago and I mentioned in a very non-threatening way, "Honey, we really need to spend some time on our bathroom...." Naturally, he agreed. (You will too when you see the pictures.) It's pretty gross, but it never got cleaned properly when we moved in because we closed 10 days earlier than expected and rushed the move in so our renters could get into our old house. My sweet little sister Crystel (who is currently serving a mission in LA at the Temple Visitor Center) spent a few hours on it but that's all it got apart from our bi-monthly wipe down.

So, I've been dreaming and looking at pictures, and when I mentioned a few of my ideas to Joe, he asked, "So are you planning to do the floor too?" (I hadn't been planning to, this was originally just going to be a paint-and-trim thing to keep costs down. BUT!! He opened the door and so I stepped right in!!) We discussed it and I estimated that it would take the cost from $100-$150 up to $400-$500, and he rejected the idea of spending that much right now. SO! I came up with the brilliant idea to do a little search on Craigslist, and after one email and a couple of phone calls HIT THE JACKPOT! ....in the form of 8 boxes of leftover laminate (about 160 sq feet) in Walnut. Jason was asking $200 for it - it cost him about $60 per box. After I looked at it, I offered $160. He counter-offered $100. Um, Okay...?!!!

So, there is the first big step - I have the flooring. Now I need to locate me some underlayment and start the demolition of that terrible tile... I need to decide what I'm going to do with my cabinetry, and how exactly I am going to add the wainscoting that I want to do. I also need to come up with the paint colors I want to use.

I totally understand if DIY home improvement isn't your thing. If that is the case, ignore my blog for a few weeks. If not, come with me on a little journey to a new bathroom (your part will be the less sweaty, less messy one)!!

3 comments:

The Hojnackes said...

If you need any help let me know. We remodeled our kitchen and bathrooms in Oregon. We did a ton of wainscot, too.

Haylee said...

Thanks Laura!

Sara Jensen said...

Sweet! Can't wait to see the finished product!