In the last couple of years, I've taken more of an interest in nutrition and started being more careful about what I feed my family. Joe is wary of me becoming a "health nut," and of course I continually assure him that I won't, but I do like to try new things. I started with making whole wheat bread regularly about 4 years ago. I've incorporated that well enough into our diet that my girls have little tolerance for bread purchased from the store - even some of the heavier stuff from Winder Dairy. We've switched to mostly brown rice and when I do serve white rice it is usually with equal parts millet and quinoa. Here is the point on which I probably come closest to being a nut: I smuggle raw milk over the Nevada state border. I don't know if it is technically smuggling, because I don't know that it is illegal to HAVE raw milk in Nevada, I just know that it is illegal to SELL it. So, there's my confession. That said, I still do it when I can. I get it from the dairy that the polygamists run in Colorado City/Hilldale (yes, where the infamous Warren Jeffs resided). I was raised on raw milk (we had a cow) and it holds with my philosophy that we are most likely to be eating right when our food is as close as possible to the state in which God originally delivered it to us. Did you know that many people who are lactose intolerant CAN tolerate raw milk? Presumably because it still contains the live digestive enzymes that are otherwise killed in pasteurization. Please correct me if I'm spreading false information here. I'm not a milk expert. Anyway, I grew up on it and prefer it. So the reason this all came up for a blog topic: today I made some steamed spinach for myself at lunch and Hannah and Sara wanted some. So, I obliged them. Between them, they took all I made so I steamed some more for myself. By the time the second batch was done, they were ready for it too, so I had to make a third batch for myself. I have to say, I had a little "I'm doing at least one thing right" moment that we occaisionally get as moms. They also really like asparagus and brocolli. We had steamed asparagus the last two nights at dinner and the girls all thought they were in heaven! All three I serve just with fresh lemon juice and salt/pepper.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love the pic of your daughter giving the thumbs up for the spinach. Super cute.
I like spinach if it's in a dip or raw. I'm with the girls though on the steamed asparagus! We use to pick it down by the ditch banks by Grandpa's house and my Mom would put it in a white sauce and serve it over toast! YUM! I'm sure it wasn't as healthy, but it sure tasted good!
Now I'm excited to plant the garden... although, it's supposed to snow on Thursday...
Post a Comment