Monday, May 4, 2009

Thoughts on Mothers

Yesterday the bishopric of our ward asked me to speak next week for Mother's day - and then called me to be in the Nursery. Now, lest I be misunderstood, I'm not complaining. Philosophically, I am against asking mothers of young children to be in the Nursery and when I was primary president it didn't happen. Moms often desperately need the break from their kids and the spiritual nourishment and sisterhood that SS and RS provide. BUT, I have never served in the Nursery until now and as a mother I really appreciate having nursery leaders who make my child LOVE nursery. Never mind that I am dealing with morning sickness and spend my week with six little girls (my four and two that I watch). That said, the real reason for my post is that I want a little inspiration for my talk next week. Let me know what your thoughts on motherhood are and the direction you would take it. If it won't fit into the comments section, email me or post it on your blog and let me know. Thanks for any input!

7 comments:

The Doig family said...

WOW! Congratulations on the morning sickness=baby on the way! I didn't know! When are you due?

Daisy Paige said...

I hopped over here from Heather Kins' blog. I agree about not putting mothers with young children in nursery. I don't get much of a break going from wrestling with my son during sacrament to wrestling with other people's Sunbeams during primary. At least I get to teach the lesson, right?

Good luck with the pregnancy and your kitchen looks great!

Daisy Paige said...

Oh, and for your real question...talk topics...maybe you could talk a little about Mary. Everyone seems to glide over her like she was no big deal. I don't know. Maybe there just isn't much info out there about her.

Or you could also base your talk on some examples of how children don't need perfect mothers, they just need mothers that are there for them, willing to serve them and to love them unconditionally. You could even mention your mom's willingness to serve her grown children by painting their homes!

Brooke S said...

How did the talk go? I thought of you all day on Sunday!

Haylee said...

It went well, I think. I don't even remember all I said. I only kept to about 60 percent of what I had prepared. I'm just grateful it is done. Thanks to all for the feed back I got. It was helpful!

Susie Stout said...

hey, I had no idea so the word wasn't spreading that fast and in this family that is a big deal, hoping for a boy too so mine will have a boy cousin his age, though luke and kanon will do.

Anonymous said...

Hi Haylee. Congrats on the baby. I'm excited for you. I sent Joe an email, but I don't know if he passed it on to you yet. I just wanted to get back in touch. Ask him about it. I may have an old address.